When you are renting a house, it becomes a huge responsibility to choose the right real estate agent and then the right house and then the right landlord. If your agent is involved in just introducing you to a property and then vanishes from the picture, then it becomes important that you communicate on your own with your landlord. This is one situation that every tenant must plan for and be ready with a set of questions that they could ask their landlord with respect to the property they will be renting out. This earlier planning will help in building a mature relationship as you are both transparent with each other. When you discuss the potential problems with the real estate agent in the presence of landlord, then it helps to fix the issues a lot sooner.
The lists of questions that are pretty common are –
- How carefully was the property designed when it comes to plumbing and pipes and drains and how effectively you can keep them problem free?
- How to contact the concerned team of maintenance in case of any issues with respect to the property you are renting.
- Important numbers to be contacted during a time of problem in plumbing, sewer, heat system and electrical problems.
- How effectively does the maintenance team of the apartment or premises work
- How to touch base in case the lease or rental agreement needs to be revisited.
- Who is the best person to call up in case there are emergency fixes needed with respect to blocked drains and others?
- If every detail of the property is described in the rental agreement and what contribution the tenant is expected to pay from their hands
- If the tenant is allowed to sublet an apartment or not.